Service and administrative roles
Selected technical society roles
- Associate Editor for coding techniques, IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, August 2016 to August 2019
- Elected Member by the Board of Governors of the IEEE Information Theory Society (ITSoc) to serve on the Board from April 2019 to December 2020
- Member of the Information Theory Schools Committee, IEEE Information Theory Society (ITSoc)
Selected School, College, or University roles
- Associate Director - Education, RSEEME, July 2019-present
- Chair of HDR application ranking for the Information Theme, 2017-2019
- Joint Associate Dean (Research), College of Engineering and Computer Science, ANU, 2015-2016
- Acting Associate Director - Education, Research School of Engineering, April and July 2015
- Member of Selection Committees, ANU, 2008-present
- Member of CECS Promotion Committee to Levels Senior Lecturer and Associate Professor, 2016 and 2017
- Member of the ANU Academic Board, 2014-2016
- ERA Panel Chair for FoR code 10 submission, 2010
Selected conference organisation roles
- General Co-chair, IEEE Int. Symp. Information Theory (ISIT), Melbourne, Australia. ISIT is the flagship IEEE conference in information theory and it will be held in Australia in 2021 for the second time in its history (ISIT has been held 51 times since 1950).
- General Chair, Australian Communications Theory Workshop (AusCTW), Canberra, Australia, 2017
- General Chair, Australian Information Theory School (AusITS), Canberra, Australia, 2017
- TPC Co-chair, International Symposium on Network Coding (Netcod), Sydney, Australia, 2015
- General Co-chair, 22nd Int. Conf. Telecommunications (ICT), Sydney, Australia, 2015
- Publications Chair, IEEE Information Theory Workshop, Hobart, Australia, 2014
- General Chair, International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Systems (ICSPCS), Gold Coast, Australia, 2013
- TPC Chair, Australian Communications Theory Workshop (AusCTW), Canberra, Australia, 2010
Selected TPC, reviewer, and thesis examination roles
- I have served on the TPC of major conferences in my fields of research. This includes: IEEE ITW (2018, 2019), IEEE ICC (2014, 2015, 2018, 2019), IEEE WCNC (2014, 2015, 2019), Netcod (2014), Iran Workshop on Communication and Information Theory (2011-2019), ISIT (2011), ICSPCS (2011-2019), and AusCTW (2008-2009).
- I have regularly accepted invitations to peer review submissions for some of the leading journals and conferences in my discipline, including IEEE Trans. on Signal Processing, IEEE Trans. on Commun., IEEE Trans. on Wireless Commun., IEEE Trans. on Inf. Theory, IEEE JSAC, IEEE Communications Magazine, ISIT, ICC, VTC, PIMRC, and AusCTW.
- I have acted as a reviewer for applications to major funding schemes since 2010, including: ARC Discovery Projects, Linkage Projects, Laureate Fellowship, DECRA, and Future Fellowship. In 2015, I was a Peer Reviewer for ERA 2015.
- I have acted as a reviewer for Aus/NZ PhD and MPhil theses or have been part of US/Canada thesis committees. This includes reviewing theses from University of Newcastle (2017), UNSW (2017, 2016), University of Auckland (2016), University of South Australia (2016, 2015), University of Sydney (2015), and Monash University (2014). I have been on PhD Thesis committee for the University of Victoria, Canada (2016), MIT (2014), and University of Toronto (2011).