The vision processing for prosthetic vision home page
The vision processing for prosthetic vision won two IAwards in the ACT:
Research and Development Project of the Year and Consumer Markets.
I Awards state winners.
See bionic vision technologies raises us18m from state path capital china huarong, Australian Financial Review April 3 2017
for news on investment in Bionic Vision Technologies.
See Bionic eye trial ``really promising, Sydney Morning Herald, , May 1, 2014" for some of the media coverage of our 2014 human mobility trials. Also covered on ABC News.
Prosthetic Vision Publications
- "Vision function testing for a suprachoroidal retinal prosthesis: effects of image filtering.", by N Barnes, A Scott, P Lieby, M Petoe, McCarthy C, A Stacey, L Ayton, N Sinclair, M Shivdasani, N Lovell, H McDermott, JG Walker, Journal of Neural Engineering, 13(3), April, 2016, pp 036013. Publisher version self-archive pdf.
- "Visual task performance in the blind with the BrainPort V100 vision aid", by HC Stronks, EB Mitchell, AC Nau and N Barnes, in Expert Review of Medical Devices, accepted Sept, 2016 Pre-print.
- "Vibrotactile spatial acuity and intensity discrimination on the lower back using coin motors", by HC Sronks, D Parker and N Barnes, in IEEE Trans Haptics, accepted May, 2016 Pre-print.
- "Semantic Labelling for Prosthetic Vision", by L Horne, J Alvarez, C McCarthy, M Salzmann and N Barnes, in CVIU, available online March 2016, at"http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.cviu.2016.02.015''.
- "The role of visual deprivation and experience on the performance of sensory substitution devices", by HC Sronks, AC Nau, M R Ibbotson and N Barnes, in Brain Research, 1464. Oct, 2015, pp 140-152.
- "Mobility and low contrast trip hazard avoidance using augmented depth.", McCarthy C, Walker JG, Lieby P, Scott AS, Barnes N, Journal of Neural Engineering, 12(1), Feb 2015.
- "The feasibility of coin motors for use in a vibrotactile display for the blind.", Stronks HC, Barnes N, Parker D, Walker JG, Artificial Organs, 39(6), pp. 480-91, Jun, 2015.
- "First-in-Human Trial of a Novel Suprachoroidal Retinal Prosthesis", L N Ayton, P J Blamey, R H Guymer, C D Luu, D A X Nayagam, N C Sinclair, M N Shivdasani, J Yeoh, M F McCombe, R J Briggs, N L Opie, J Villalobos, P N Dimitrov, M Varsamidis, M A Petoe, C D McCarthy, J G Walker, N Barnes, A N Burkitt, C E Williams, R K Shepherd, P J Allen, for the Bionic Vision Australia Research Consortium, PLOSONE, Dec 18, 2014, DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0115239.
- "A new theoretical approach to improving face recognition in disorders of central vision: Face caricaturing.", Irons J, McKone E, Dumbleton R, Barnes N, He X, Provis J, Ivanovici C, Kwa A., Journal of Vision, 14(2), Feb 17, 2014.
- "The Role of Computer Vision in Prosthetic Vision", N Barnes, Image and Vision Computing, 20, 478-439, 2012.
- "Local Background Enclosure for RGB-D Salient Object Detection" by D Feng, N Barnes, S You and C McCarthy, in CVPR, June, 2016, accepted.
- "Semantic Labelling to Aid Navigation in Prosthetic Vision", by L Horne, J M Alverez, C McCarthy, N Barnes, in Int Conf IEEE Engineering in Medical and Biology Society, (IEEE-EMBC), August, 2015.
- "Importance Weighted Image Enhancement for Prosthetic Vision: An Augmentation Framework", by C McCarthy, and N Barnes, in Int Symp on Mixed and Augmented Reality, ISMAR'14, Sept, 2014.
- "An overview of vision processing approaches in implantable prosthetic vision", by N Barnes, in Proc ICIP, Melbourne Australia, 2013.
- "Augmenting Intensity to enhance scene structure in prosthetic vision", by C McCarthy, D Feng, N Barnes, in Proc Workshop Multimodal and Alternative Perception for Visually Impaired People, San Jose, USA, July, 2013. (Best Paper)
- "The Role of Vision Processing in Prosthetic Vision", by N Barnes, X He, C McCarthy, L Horne, J Kim, A F Scott, and P Lieby, in Proc IEEE EMBC, August, 2012.
- "Time-To-Contact Maps for Navigation with a Low Resolution Visual Prosthesis", by C McCarthy and N Barnes, in Proc IEEE EMBC, August, 2012.
- "Image Segmentation for Enhancing Symbol Recognition in Prosthetic Vision", by L Horne, N Barnes, C McCarthy, X He, in Proc IEEE EMBC, August, 2012.
- "On Just Noticeable Difference for Bionic Eye", Yi Li, C McCarthy, and N Barnes, in Proc IEEE EMBC, August, 2012 link.
- "Text Image Processing for Visual Prostheses", by S Wang, Yi Li and N Barnes, in Proc IEEE EMBC, August, 2012.
- "An Face-Based Visual Fixation System for Prosthetic Vision", by X He, J Kim, and N Barnes, in Proc IEEE EMBC, August, 2012.
- "Phosphene Vision of Depth and Boundary from Segmentation-Based Associative MRFs", by Y Xie, N Liu, and N Barnes, in Proc IEEE EMBC, August, 2012.
- Lanczos2 Image Filtering Improves Performance on Low Vision Tesets in Implanted Visual Prosthetic Patients, by N. Barnes, A. F. Scott, A. Stacey, P. Lieby, M. Petoe, L. Ayton, M. Shivdasini, N. Sinclair, J G. Walker, Proceedings of the Association for Research in Vision and Opthamalmology annual meeting (ARVO 2014), Orlando, Florida, USA, May, 2014
- Caricaturing improves face recognition in simulated age-related macular degeneration, Elinor McKone, Jessica Irons, Xuming He, Nick Barnes, Jan Provis, Rachael Dumbleton, Callin Ivanovici, Alisa Kwa, VSS, 2013
- Evaluating Lanczos2 image filtering for visual acuity in simluated prosthetic vision, by P. Lieby, N. Barnes, J G. Walker, A F. Scott, N. Barnes and L. Ayton Proceedings of the Association for Research in Vision and Opthamalmology annual meeting (ARVO 2012), Seatle, USA, May, 2013
- Low contrast trip hazard avoidance with simulated prosthetic vision, by C. McCarthy, P. Lieby, J G. Walker, A F. Scott, V. Botea and N. Barnes, Proceedings of the Association for Research in Vision and Opthamalmology annual meeting (ARVO 2012), Fort Lauderdale, FL USA, 2012. (oral presentation)
- Evaluating Depth-based Visual Representations For Mobility In Simulated Prosthetic Vision, by N. Barnes, P. Lieby, J G. Walker, C. McCarthy, V. Botea and A F. Scott, Proceedings of the Association for Research in Vision and Opthamalmology annual meeting (ARVO 2012), Fort Lauderdale, FL USA, 2012
- Mobility Experiments Using Simulated Prosthetic Vision With 98 Phosphenes Of Limited Dynamic Range, by P. Lieby, N. Barnes, C. McCarthy, V Botea, A F. Scott and J G. Walker, Proceedings of the Association for Research in Vision and Opthamalmology annual meeting (ARVO 2012), Fort Lauderdale, FL USA, 2012
- Orientation and mobility considerations in Bionic Eye Research, by Lauren Ayton, Sharon Haymes, Jill Keeffe, Chi Luu, Nick Barnes, Paulette Lieby, Janine G. Walker, Robyn Guymer, 14th International Mobility Conference, Palmerston North, New Zealand, Feb, 2012
- Mobility Experiments with simulated vision and sensory substitution of depth, N Barnes P Lieby, H Dennet, C McCarthy, N Liu, J G Walker, ARVO, 2011
- Face detection and tracking in video to facilitate face recognition with a visual prosthesis, Xuming He, Chunhua Shen, N Barnes, ARVO, 2011
- Investigating the role of single-viewpoint depth data in visually-guided mobility, N Barnes P Lieby, H Dennet, J G Walker, C McCarthy, N Liu, Yi Li, VSS, 2011.
- Object detection for bionic vision, by L Horne, N Barnes, X He and C McCarthy, 2nd Int Conf on Medical Bionics: Neural Interfaces for Damaged Nerves, Phillip Island, Vic, Australia, Nov, 2011
- Automatic Face Zooming and Its Stability Analysis on a Phosphene Display, by J Kim, X He and C McCarthy, 2nd Int Conf on Medical Bionics: Neural Interfaces for Damaged Nerves, Phillip Island, Vic, Australia, Nov, 2011
- The impact of environment complexity on mobility performance for prosthetic vision using the visual representation of depth, by J G Walker, N Barnes, P Lieby, C McCarthy and H Dennet, 43rd Ann Sci Congress of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists -Sharing the Vision, Canberra, ACT, Australia, Nov, 2011
- Expectations of a visual prosthesis: perspectives from people with impaired vision, by J E Keeffe, K L Francis, C D Luu, N Barnes, E L Lamoureaux, R H Guymer, ARVO, 2010
Keynotes and invited talks
"Computer Vision for Prosthetic Vision", Keynote address IVCNZ, Dunedin, NZ, Novermber, 2012.
"Image Processing for Prosthetic Vision", Invited Special Session, IEEE-EMBC 2012, Chair: Nick Barnes.
"Progress in implantable prosthetic vision and the role of vision processing", Invited Special Session, IEEE-ICIP, 2013, Melbourne, Australia, Chair: Nick Barnes.
Bionic Vision Australia, Bionic Vision Australia
Data61's Vision Processing for the Bionic Eye Project page, Data61
Research School of Engineering
The Australian National University
Research School of Engineering, The Australian National University, Canberra, 0200.
Senior Principal Researcher
Research Group Leader
Smart Vision Systems
email: firstname dot lastname at anu.edu.au
email: firstname dot lastname at data61.csiro.au
office (ANU): Brian Anderson Building, 115 North Road, Acton, AUSTRALIA
office (NICTA): Building A, 7 London Circuit, Canberra, AUSTRALIA
postal: Data61, Locked Bag 8001, Canberra, 2601.
Last modified April 2017 Maintainer: Nick Barnes